• Print
  • a a a

Work permits

Citizens belonging to European Union countries
The agreement governing the free movement of people between Switzerland and the European Union forms the basis of the right to enter, live in and seek work or set up a business in Switzerland.

For citizens from other countries (not European Union member states)
Various conditions must be met before it is possible to earn an income in Switzerland. The Federal Migration Office, which acts in accordance with legislation currently in force, has full discretion over whether to grant authorisation.

Self-employment is generally only possible after obtaining a residence permit (permit C). In addition, this permit is only issued to foreigners if it is in Switzerland’s economic interest and provided that financial and corporate preconditions as well as personal prerequisites are met. Lastly, the applicant must have suitable accommodation.

Last modified 30 March 2015